Wednesday 28th June: Being a Young Disciple

The theme of this school week is: Discipleship

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Reflection

Disciple literally means ‘learner’. I find that reassuring. Learners are allowed to make mistakes, have struggles and not understand everything. The following is the story of a young man of 19 from Manchester and his experience of being a disciple. (With thanks to Castlerigg)

‘Being asked to write about what it is to be a young catholic is an odd topic for me as growing up being a catholic was never a big part of my life; in fact it meant nothing to me. Back home I was born and raised a Catholic but it was never a big deal; it was just a formality, a rite of passage, so to speak. It tended to be something I used to tick when filling out forms. It wasn’t until I moved to Castlerigg Manor on a gap year this past year that I really began to understand. Often I used to ridicule and belittle stuff I didn’t really comprehend so I chose to ignore my faith. So, when I got here the first few weeks were difficult, but I began to grow, began to listen and appreciate what it was to become a Catholic.

I recently summed up my faith journey as being like a seed placed within me and it began to grow at the time of my Confirmation. But when I neglected the seed and didn’t feed it, the seed began to wither and die.  Within this past year I have begun to take care of the seed and its growing now, sprouting a few leaves along the way. It’s a difficult journey though no one ever said it was an easy life. It isn’t easy but it’s important to take care of what’s right and at this moment faith is right for me.  I’m learning and growing each day in myself and with those who I had previously felt angry with and even lost. I am, with the help of others, learning to be more in tune with my emotions and use them for good. As I said the seed continues to grow.’

Prayer

Be, Lord Jesus, a bright flame before me,
a guiding star above me,
a smooth path below me,
a kindly shepherd beside me:
today, tonight, and forever.

Amen.
(St. Columba)