Friday 23rd June: The Sacred Heart of Jesus

Today is the feast day of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Scripture

My beloved friends, let us continue to love each other since love comes from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and experiences a relationship with God. The person who refuses to love doesn’t know the first thing about God, because God is love—so you can’t know him if you don’t love. – 1 John 4

Reflection

A long time ago there was this movement called Jansenism. They said over and over how sinful and incredibly unworthy man is. People started feeling bad about themselves and weren’t receiving Holy Communion. They also said that Christ didn’t die on the cross for all people. Nope. Just some.

But that wasn’t true! And God was not okay with us thinking that. So He did something amazing (big surprise there) and appeared to a nun named St. Margaret Mary Alacoque. He asked her to have the above picture painted.

Jesus wanted to show us that His heart is constantly, forever, always, eternally loving and forgiving us. He loves you. He loves me. He loves every person so intensely that His heart burns with that love. Look into His eyes and you can’t see anything else.

You know when you love someone and you “give them your heart?” That’s exactly what this picture is about. It’s Jesus showing you and I how His heart is ours because He loves us with all of it.

Prayer

Oh dear Sacred Heart of Jesus, I give You my whole heart. I see Your Heart on fire for love of me. I want to  know the love of God. Jesus, use me as Your servant to spread Your love to this world. I give myself entirely to You and I ask the Holy Spirit to make me more like You. I want to be a child of the Father. I give You my heart, keep me in Your Heart and teach me Your way of love.
Amen

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen