Tuesday 23rd March: Loving the Unloveable

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

a58af1d35b0b28826d56471a64709610

Scripture 

Jesus said: “You’re familiar with the old written law, ‘Love your friend,’ and its unwritten companion, ‘Hate your enemy.’ I’m challenging that. I’m telling you to love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your God-created selves. This is what God does. He gives his best—the sun to warm and the rain to nourish—to everyone, regardless: the good and bad, the nice and nasty. If all you do is love the lovable, do you expect a bonus? Anybody can do that. If you simply say hello to those who greet you, do you expect a medal? Any run-of-the-mill sinner does that.

Matthew 5:44-47

Reflection

In his book, Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis points out that it is easy to love the likeable. However, the virtue of “charity” comes by choosing to act lovingly toward the unlikeable. Lewis writes,

“Charity means “Love, in the Christian sense.” But love, in the Christian sense, does not mean an emotion. It is a state not of the feelings but of the will; that state of the will which we have naturally about ourselves, and must learn to have about other people.”

As Jesus said, if we only love those we find lovable, anyone can do this. We are called to a higher love, to love even those who hate us.

Who could I show some love to today that I normally would not? What kind deed could I do for them?

Prayer

God of infinite love,
I thank you for this reminder of your love
and your call that we be more loving, gentle and compassionate with others.
Here in the middle of Lent, I turn to you to ask for your help.
Please soften my heart so I may show some love to someone today.
I ask you this, in Jesus’ name.

Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us