Monday 6th February: What is the Truth?

The theme of this school week is: Truth

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Reflection

Pilate had a problem. The Jewish leaders kept bringing Jesus Christ before him and demanding his crucifixion. He could not find any justification for it, but he needed to keep the peace between the Jewish people and the Roman government. Pilate’s brief interrogation of Jesus brought little clarity to the problem because Pilate was viewing things from a human perspective while Jesus was operating on a spiritual level.

Pilate asked Him about the accusation that He claimed to be a king.
“You are right in saying I am a king,” Jesus replied. “In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”
Frustrated, Pilate responded with a common philosophical question of the day, “What is truth?”

WhatIsTruth885x339

Some things never change. For over 2000 years, mankind has asked, “What is the truth?” And, like Pilate, so many people have missed it (even though it was right in front of them) because they were asking the wrong question. The question is not what is truth, but rather who is truth.

Jesus made it very simple for us. He said, “I am the way and the truth and the life.” But instead of asking, “Who is truth?” we continue to echo Pilate’s words, “What is truth?” As long as we ask that question, we will continue to leave as empty-handed as Pilate.

Jesus is the source of all truth. He is dependably correct in all matters. When we turn to Him knowing He is the truth, the scriptures take on a fresh meaning:

“Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth  Jesus and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long.” (Psalm 25:4-5)

“I have chosen the way of truth Jesus; I have set my heart on your laws.” (Psalm 119:30)

“They perish because they refused to love the truth  Jesus and so be saved.” (2 Thessalonians 2:10b)

Prayer

Dear Lord, help us to understand that You are The Truth and your ways are the right ones to follow. We pray that when ever we are seeking truth in our lives we turn to you first, the source of all truth. Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name;
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us

The Sign of the Cross