Monday 23rd January: Dear Teacher…

The theme of this school week is: Holocaust.

Holocaust Memorial Day is Friday 27th January. More information at: http://hmd.org.uk

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

quote-if-you-want-your-children-to-improve-let-them-overhear-the-nice-things-you-say-about-haim-ginott-11-8-0802

Reflection

Haim Ginott was a Jewish child psychologist. He was struck by something common to many of the stories told by holocaust survivors. They could not comprehend how apparently ‘civilised’ and often highly educated people: engineers, doctors and trained nurses worked willingly in the operation of concentration camps. From one of these survivors Haim Ginott addressed this heartfelt plea to schools:

“Dear Teacher,

I am a survivor of a concentration camp.My eyes saw what no man should witness. Gas chambers built by learned engineers, children poisoned by educated physicians; infants killed by trained nurses, women and babies shot and burned by High School and college graduates. So, I am suspicious of education.

My request is: help your students become human. Your efforts must never produce monsters, skilled psychopaths, educated Eichmann’s. Reading, writing and arithmetic are important only if they serve to make our children more humane.”

Haim Ginott (‘Teacher & Child’ 1972)

In our school we not only pass on knowledge and skills but try to develop well formed consciences and instill values such as justice, mercy and compassion. We hope that goodness is something ‘caught’ as well as ‘taught’ because it is part and parcel of a full education. History teaches us that our world needs well educated people of principle and character ready to stand up against evil. This is part of our Christian foundation, it’s a responsibility that belongs to each one of us – to help one another to become ‘salt and light’ to the world.

Prayer

Each of us can make some change in the small part of the world we occupy.The good I did yesterday – only I could have done it. The touch of sympathy, the helping hand, the encouraging word, the smile of friendship, the prayer I offered, the thanks I gave – my share in the work of God. May I live each day knowing that I have a part to play in the doing of God’s will on earth and may his kingdom come. Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name;
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.
St Joseph pray for us