Tuesday 8th November: Do This To Remember Me

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Scripture Reading

Let me go over with you again exactly what goes on in the Lord’s Supper and why it is so centrally important. I received my instructions from the Master himself and passed them on to you. The Master, Jesus, on the night of his betrayal, took bread. Having given thanks, he broke it and said,

This is my body, broken for you. Do this to remember me.
After supper, he did the same thing with the cup:

This cup is my blood, my new covenant with you.
Each time you drink this cup, remember me.
What you must solemnly realize is that every time you eat this bread and every time you drink this cup, you reenact in your words and actions the death of the Master. You will be drawn back to this meal again and again until the Master returns. -1 Cor 11:23-25

BouveretLastSupper

Reflection

Remembering or memory is a very human thing to do. We all have photographs of loved ones that we carry around with us and perhaps we have a special box where we keep objects that have a special value and memory. We can also reflect, and so recall, how our lives are shaped by the living and ongoing memory of various people and events and how they continue to influence us.

At the Last Supper, Jesus invited us to “Do this to remember me”. But do what? The Last Supper was also the first Mass. Jesus was asking us to continue this act of remembrance for Him. He also promised us that He would be with us always “yes, even until the end of time”. The Mass is an important way that Jesus chose to be with us always. That is why all around the world Christians “do this to remember me”, celebrating Mass everyday so they can be with Jesus.

Prayer

Jesus, help us to remember you throughout today. Help us to remember that you came to help us, and show us the path of life. Help us to remember that we are loved by you. Help us love you back.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy name;
Thy kingdom come
Thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us;
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us

Mass will be held in St Joseph’s Room on Friday at 1.05pm