Tuesday 18th October: St Luke

Today is the feast day of St Luke, author of Luke’s Gospel and patron of our Year 8 tutor group

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

78

Reflection on the Gospel of Luke by a Year 7 Student

” Luke’s gospel was more down-to-earth than I expected it to be. It was not profound, like John’s. I think that Luke was trying to be lofty but he did not have the insightfulness that John the Evangelist possessed. I did learn something about Christ’s humanity that surprised me. I thought that he would, being God of course, consider our fear of physical harm as unimportant and trivial. But I find that He understands our fear of bodily pain.

When I was reading the gospel, I realized that reading the gospel in the order that the events actually happened helped a lot. It helped especially in understanding why the events occurred in the order that they did. Also, I did not know how many miracles Jesus had worked until I read the gospel from start to finish. After countless miracles, I am amazed that so relatively few were convinced of Christ’s Divinity.

I do feel that I have met Jesus after reading the gospel, and reading the gospel has also changed my spiritual life. After all, the more you know someone the more you can love someone. ”

Perhaps these words of a Year 7 student can encourage us to turn to the bible so we can come to know and love Jesus more.

Prayer

Almighty God, who inspired Your servant St Luke to set forth in the Gospel the love and healing power of Your Son: Graciously continue in our lives the love and power to heal, to the praise and glory of Your Name, through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us

St Luke pray for us.