Wednesday 12th October: Imitating God’s Justice

The theme of the week is : Justice.

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

psa-82-3-ww-stock-9x

Scripture Reading

Give justice to the poor and the orphan; uphold the rights of the oppressed and the destitute.
Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

-Psalm 82

Reflection 

Notice that God is especially concerned that those who are powerless in society receive justice. These are the ones who are most easily forgotten or abused. Yet God instructs us to pay special attention to them. This reflects his own compassion and love for the poor, the orphan, and the foreigner. When we seek justice for those who are weak and marginalized, we not only obey God, but also imitate God.

All of us must live out in our daily lives the basic instructions of Psalm 82. In our work and our volunteering, in our giving and our voting, in our decision-making and our relationships, we must “give justice to the poor and the orphan” and “uphold the rights of the oppressed and destitute.”

Prayer

Dear Lord, how easy it is for me to forget the imperatives of Psalm 82. It’s not that I am intentionally mistreating the poor and the oppressed. But I can forget about those who are weak, thus neglecting your call to justice. Forgive me, Lord, for my narrowness of vision and hard-heartedness.

Help me, Lord, to know how I am supposed to put Psalm 82 into practice. Show me where, in my daily life, I have the opportunity—indeed, the calling—to do justice. Give me open eyes and a tender heart for those who are weak and powerless.

Today, I also want to pray for my leaders in all levels of government. Give them wisdom, Lord, to know how best to seek justice for those who need it most. Help them look beyond partisan advantage and personal advancement in order to do what’s right.

All praise and glory be to you, God of justice and mercy! Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace pray for us.

St Joseph pray for us