Wednesday 21st September: World Peace Day

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

tumblr_ntg5hnc3Tb1ryejaco1_1280

Reflection

Today is World Peace Day. It is also the feast day of St Matthew. In St Matthews Gospel we hear these words from Jesus:

“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.” -Matthew 5:6-9

We are called to be peacemakers because we are Children of God, but we live in a world that is clearly not at peace. Why is that? Pope Francis offers this explanation in regards to our attitude to problems in the world that cause a lack of peace:

“Today, indifference is often linked to various forms of individualism which cause isolation, ignorance, selfishness and, therefore, lack of interest and commitment.” – Pope Francis

Pope Francis has chosen this theme for the 2016: “Overcome indifference and win peace”

What can I do in my life to win peace? Where am I indifferent to the problems of the world? What is one thing I can do about it?

Prayer

O Lord Jesus Christ, Who said to Your Apostles: “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you,” Bring peace into the world By bringing Your peace into the hearts of all. Help us to turn away from sin And to follow You in love and service.
Glory be yours, and honour, For ever and ever. Amen.

We turn to Mary, Mother of Jesus, asking her to pray for us:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of death. Amen.

Our Lady Queen of Peace, pray for us

St Joseph, pray for us.

St Matthew, pray for us.