Wednesday 6th July: I’m Unique!

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Fingerprint_detail_on_male_finger

Reflection

In the 1930s John Dillinger escaped from prison in the United States, having been found guilty of murder and robbery. The F.B.I. identified him as “Public Enemy Number One”.

Knowing that the police and the F.B.I. had records of his fingerprints, he thought he would set about getting new fingerprints so that his presence would not be detected in future. He dipped his fingers and thumbs into a bowl of acid, and went through great pain until new skin grew. After a few weeks, Dillinger tested his new fingerprints – only to find that they were identical to his old ones.

No-one else will ever have the same fingerprints as me. Fingerprints are a sign that each person is unique and individual.

Pope John Paul II has said:

“Before God, each human being
is always unique and unrepeatable, somebody thought of and chosen from eternity.”

Isaac Newton said:

“In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God’s existence.”

In a moment of silence, think about your own fingerprint and the fact that no one in the whole world has, or will ever have, the same one as you. You are unique.

Prayer

God our Father,
you made each of us unique and unrepeatable.

Inspire me to live in such a way that I respect others
and am ready to learn
from all who are part of my life this day.

Amen.