Tuesday 7th June: Pilgrim Statue Part 2

The Sign of the Cross

In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Jesus Points to His Heart

For Catholics, the symbol of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (which the Pilgrim Statue represents) is a powerful image of the love of God. Throughout the Bible, the heart of God was a key image of the God who kept promises with his people. The heart itself was the very centre – the core – of a person. Time and time again the God  begged his people not to harden their hearts but to return to him. In the Gospels, when Jesus was challenged to summarise the law of God, he stressed loving God with all our heart and our neighbour as ourselves.

The New Testament stressed love as the way to life, “God is Love,” wrote St. John; “and whoever abides in love abides in God and God in them” (I John 4:16). To St. Paul, the presence of love renders all other gifts worthwhile, while its absence renders them useless (I Corinthians 3).

The Sacred Heart of Jesus, then, is meant to symbolise the love of God, his mercy, and to evoke love for God from us and to show that love in our care for those in need – by showing mercy and love to others.

Reflection

What do I think about my heart? How do I think Jesus sees my heart?

In a quiet moment ask Jesus to open your heart to the love He wants to show you. If you feel you may have hardened your heart to love, then ask him to soften it.

Prayer

Jesus, king and centre of all hearts, in your kindness and care you never cease to love us. May we all feel your love and forgiveness in our school.

Amen